Thursday, July 19, 2007

What are you doing today? Oh, just flying to Africa

I’ve been looking forward to this day since I applied to the Peace Corps almost a year ago. Insanity. Pure insanity. I can’t believe it’s finally here!

Staging has been really exhausting (who knew sitting in meetings all day would be so tiring), but I’ve enjoyed meeting the 60 or so people that have become my new “insta-friends” in just a matter of days. Everyone is great….our group as a whole seems to have a great sense of humor which has made the meetings go by much faster.

Besides learning about PC policies and safety, I spent my last full day in the US getting some vaccinations (only polio and yellow fever…I get more once I’m in Benin), removing contents of my old bag and placing them in a new one (I definitely brought too much stuff in a bag that was difficult to carry), and eating Thai food as my last “American” dinner.

Another exciting thing I did today was take my first anti-malaria pill. Luckily, I’m not on a pill that you have to take everyday, but just once a week. I’m not sure what it’s called, but I know some side effects include “vivid dreams” and “hallucinations” along with the normal nausea, headaches, and dizziness that accompany most medicines. So, at dinner, a few of us took our pills and toasted to these apparent vivid dreams and hallucinations. I’ll let you know how things go.

I’m glad I’ve had the chance to say some last goodbyes, and it seems that many people have asked if I’m nervous or scared. I’m definitely more excited than anything and not really scared because I know I’m going through this whole training process with an amazing group of people who will understand exactly how I feel. I’ve dealt with so many emotions over the past few months, but one thing I’ve never felt is unsure. I’ve never thought that the PC was wrong for me or that this isn’t what I should be doing with my life, but one thing I have thought about a lot is the reason for my being here. I guess I knew that this was a perfect fit for me, but why?

I had to make sure I had some solid reasons for doing something like this. Well, there are plenty of reasons: helping others, traveling, learning French, being immersed in a culture that is completely different from my own, grad school, job stuff, meeting a group of people with similar passions and interests who are just as nutty as I am, the challenge, my interest in working in international development, my attempt to tip the scale to the more positive things that can happen in this world, etc.

While these are all convincing reasons for joining the PC, I also felt that a little mental instability and narcissism had to play a role, right? I must be a little crazy for choosing to potentially live without electricity or running water in Africa. I also thought I must be a little narcissistic for leaving NY, my favorite place in the entire world, for a country that I know little about and apparently doesn’t even sell stick deodorant (packing lists have suggested I bring a 2 year supply or have some sent to me).

But, I thought about it and realized that it isn’t insanity or narcissism at all. This may sound a little crazy (and I’m writing this at 2am on the day I’m leaving), but I don’t know the main reason that I’m going to Benin.

I think it’s something I will only figure out when I get there, but I know that there is something that Benin can offer me that NY, Indiana, or the US will never be able to. Who knows what it is, but I can’t wait to find out!

No comments: